Tuesday, 10 March 2015

Protective Style – Chunky Twists


Image result for pictures of cos i'm happy
Image from Google
                                              
Hi ladies. How was your weekend? I hope you had a fab one! I was so excited writing this post because I couldn’t wait to show y’all my hurrrr!!!! Btw, can you notice anything different today? Yope I finally got my logo *yaaaay*!!! Okay I’m calm now *shines teeth*. I also changed my template because I wanted something mature and less colorful and not the pink one I've had for a while now. In case you didn’t know I hate pink!! I think I like this new template and I hope I’ll fall in love with it soon. You can follow my friend on Instagram @neggizy for great logo and website designs.

As you all know, I decided to put my hair in twists to give myself a break from my side braids *rolls eye*. This puts me on the Rested Growth Routine of Phro Growth Challenge 2015. I do not know for how long I will be in these twists but let’s see how it goes. I washed my hair to ensure I had a clean scalp and moisturized hair for my twists.
  • Pre-pooed with heated oils; Olive, Coconut, Grape seed and Peppermint oil for 20 minutes with heat. My hair was so soft I almost changed my mind about making the twists. Lol! (Ps: I got my Grape seed oil at GNC Pharmacy, ground floor Ceddi Plaza Abuja. They have both carrier and essential oils).

  • Washed twice with Giovanni Smooth as Silk Sulfate-free shampoo followed by a tea rinse with 2 bags of Lipton green tea steeped in hot water which had cooled to room temperature.
  • Didn't rinse out the tea as usual, applied my deep conditioner Organics Cholesterol because I noticed some shedding and wanted my hair to be well protected for this install. I didn’t apply my Motions moisture plus because I was certain that my shedding was due to moisture overload.
  • Dc’d for 30 minutes with heat as I was short on time.
  • Rinsed and wrapped my hair in a cotton t-shirt to soak up the excess water.
  • Applied my leave-ins when 90% dry; Mega Profective leave-in strengthener and Motions CPR Triple Action leave-in conditioner. I parted my hair in the middle and applied my leave-ins first to one side and then the other and sealed with coconut oil. I didn’t want my hair to weighed down from applying so many products to avoid dirt and itching after I had installed my twists so I didn’t apply section by section as I normally would.
  • Put my hair in an up-do and rushed out of the house for my practice.

On Sunday evening, I began installing. I wanted really big twists to save my hair a lot of tugging and pulling and I felt bigger twists would allow me loose less hair and protect my edges and nape as well. I bought this Noble Gold Kinky Bulk (see picture below) for N800 and I used just 2 packs. The awesome thing about this kinky braid is that just like Havana braids by Fingercomber, the braids come separated and so makes it easy to use. They were separated using colorful baby ribbons and had 4 braids attached to each other in a set of 5 for each pack totaling 20 braids. I’m so glad Nigerians are also being creative with hair extensions.



  • Starting at my nape, I sectioned my hair horizontally and then into smaller sections. Using the Invisible Root Method which I fell in love with over the braid first then twist method, I began installing my twists. I chose this method because I wanted the twists to look like my real hair.

  • I applied my diluted leave-in (a mixture of my Mega Profective leave-in strengthener, coconut oil and water) and a holding product (I used Jack 5ive Activator moisturizer gel) to each section. The gel made my hair really soft and easy to manipulate. I also applied the gel to each kinky braid and stretched it to the length I wanted before installing the twists. The braids had straight hard edges which was how they were all attached. I simply snipped them off with my scissors before using them. I did try the braid first method on one section but it made me slow and made the braid tangle.



 It took all of Sunday night till 4 am Monday morning but I finally finished and I went straight to bed but not before I tied a scarf on my head. I desperately needed the sleep!!! When I finally woke up, I loosened the front braids and did them again. And this is the final result!!!


As you can see, the front view looks good but my side edges need a lot of work. I haven’t started playing with styles for the braids yet because I want to give my hair it’s much needed rest from all the loosening and braiding but I will definitely show you all the styles I try out.

All-in-all I love how my twists turned out and I think I did a pretty good job for a first timer. My only problem is the kinky braids only come in black and I don’t think it blended well with my hair which is slightly brown.
Ps: I watched a lot of videos to learn the invisible method but these were my fave; How to Install Havana Twists by Tdoubleu23 and How to Install Jumbo Twists by Ambrosia Malbrough.


What do you think ladies? Love or Hate??

Have a Blessed week ahead…


6 comments:

  1. I like your new look and the new look of your blog too :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Tomisin☺...I like the look of my blog and my hair too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely hair, wish I could do it too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Aunty, you finally commented. yaaay!!! You can definitely rock this look too.

      Delete
  4. We all like the new look of your blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emma. You inspired me to change the look even though you weren't nice about it but I forgive you.

      Delete